Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude not talking to my stk500

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude not talking to my stk500
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 07:20:23 -0700

On 26 Feb 2004 at 21:19, John Johnson wrote:

> Please forgive my ignorance here.
>
> I unwrapped my shiney new stk500 today. It works fine with AVRStudio.
> Avrdude, however, won't talk to it at all. It hangs at the DOS prompt. I've
> waited several minutes, and there is no response. I can Ctrl-C out of it.
> Avrdude previously worked fine with my homemade stk200 style programmer
> dongle.
>
> Here's what I know:
>
> >>From AVRStudio:
> Detecting.. STK500 found on COM1:
> Getting revisions.. HW: 0x02, SW Major: 0x01, SW Minor: 0x0e .. OK
> Reading FLASH input file.. OK
> Setting device parameters, serial programming mode ..OK
> Entering programming mode.. OK
> Reading FLASH using block mode..       OK
> FLASH contents is equal to file.. OK
> Leaving programming mode.. OK
>
> >>From a DOS prompt:
> C:\WinAVR\examples\adwser>avrdude -p 8515 -c stk500 -P com1 -n -U
> flash:w:adwser
> .bin -v -v
>
> AVRDUDE: Version 4.3.0
>          Copyright (c) 2000-2003 Brian Dean, address@hidden
>
>          System wide configuration file is "C:\WINAVR\BIN\avrdude.conf"
>
>          Using Port            : com1
>          Using Programmer      : stk500
> (hangs here)
>
> Any help greatly appreciated.

There is an experimental version of avrdude that is completely based on the
Win32 API and
not Cygwin. It can be found here (toward the bottom):

<http://www.siwawi.arubi.uni-kl.de/avr_projects/>

It includes all the sources and a binary as well.

This seems to have fixed a lot of other user problems; perhaps it will work for
you as well.
There are plans to roll this into the avrdude project.

HTH