[avrdude-dev] Re: [AVaRICE-user] Problems running latest avarice on Mac

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: [avrdude-dev] Re: [AVaRICE-user] Problems running latest avarice on Mac OS X 10.4.4
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2006 20:53:07 +0100

As Rick Mann wrote:

> $ avrdude -p m32 -c jtagmkII -P usb -v -U flash:r:f.hex:s

>          Using Port            : usb
>          Using Programmer      : jtagmkII
> avrdude: usbdev_open(): Found JTAGICE mkII, serno: 00A0000033FA
> <<< hangs here >>>

> >$ avarice --jtag usb --mkII -v --file main.hex -P atmega32
> >AVaRICE version 2.4, Feb  3 2006 12:29:15
> >JTAG config starting.
> >USB bulk write error: usb_bulk_write: An error occured during write
> >(see messages above)
> >USB daemon died

This must somehow be related to libusb on MacOS X.  Does OS X have a
syscall tracer (like ktrace under BSD)?  Maybe you can find at least
where it hangs, and locate that spot in libusb's source code.

There have been reports about similar errors on some Linux versions,
but there, it doesn't hang but libusb bails out with a suspicious
error message.

As the same code works on many other Linux systems, on FreeBSD and
even on libusb-win32, this most be some odd corner case of libusb.
I'm open for any suggestions as well here...