Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: AXIOM server number is undefined

From: root
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Re: AXIOM server number is undefined
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:04:40 -0400

> > The "using local database" messages are due to the fact
> > that I've moved where the databases are loaded from.
> > By default they used to be loaded from the mnt/algebra
> > subdirectory (since there was no other). Nag changed it
> > so they were loaded from a "share" subdirectory. I'm in
> > the process of changing it back. This should work:
> As a matter of interest, why do you want the databases to live under
> mnt?  I realise that if you aren't using CCL, where all the libraries
> and interpreter code are shared across platforms, there is less obvious
> justification for share but it still seems nicer to only have one set of
> databases when you have multiple versions installed on a shared
> filesystem.

The problem with share is that the databases might not be common.
In the IBM days I found that some algebra files, for instance, would
not build on some common lisps so the makefiles would exclude the
data from the databases. Database build is a dynamic step that happens
after the algebra build and was "system dependent, ship system" so it
ends up in mnt. There are "system independent, ship system" files but
they also ended up in mnt due to the "ship system" nature. I suppose
there could be a share subdirectory for this category I just haven't
given it any design thought. Basically I'm just following the old ruts.

The other problem with share, which is historically uninteresting at
this point, is that mnt was NFS mounted from multiple systems. Once
the build completes all that is left on the target system is mnt so
share would have to be a subdirectory of mnt. I don't expect to use
NFS any time soon so it's a "don't care" issue. Again, it's because
I'm following ruts in the road rather than some deep design.