Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath

From: C Y
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] OpenMath
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:51:48 -0700 (PDT)

--- root <address@hidden> wrote:
> C Y,
>
> Does McCLIM run on GCL?

Not currently - I think GCL still has ANSI issues to work out.  I'm
sure it will happen at some point, but the McCLIM team has focused on
implimenting the spec first, and porting will probably come later.
(Although, I've never actually tried on the newer CVS ansi images -
perhaps it would be simpler than I think.)

http://clim.mikemac.com/

> And where can I find info on cl-pdf?

http://www.fractalconcept.com/asp/html/cl-pdf.html  (Examples are
pretty nifty.)

Also possibly related is
http://www.fractalconcept.com/asp/html/cl-typesetting.html  The example
document shows a basic mathematics example.

> I'm much rather code it in lisp, especially since it would then be
> easy to "lift" it to the axiom level.

Agreed.  :-).  I imagine you probably have lots if ideas, but I had an
idea for a "parenthesis matching plus" GUI mode to help people entering
expressions keep track of nesting.  Syntax used is Maxima's but it
would probably work the same way for Axiom, if you're interested.
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/CY%27s%20conceptual%20stuff

We bounced a lot of GUI thoughts back and forth on the Maxima list
before we decided we should get a math program built :-).  Worth
keeping an eye on are the STIX fonts (www.stixfonts.org) which
hopefully could someday do for an McCLIM gui what Mathematica's fonts
do for their UI, only hopefully looking better while doing it ;-).

CY