Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: mathaction

From: Camm Maguire
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] RE: mathaction
Date: 17 Sep 2004 11:17:57 -0400

Greetings!

Martin Rubey <address@hidden> writes:

> Bill Page writes:
>  > The last time I looked at MuPad I was very impressed
>  >
>  >   http://research.mupad.de/
>  >
>  > And they seem to have continued to develop as a potentially
>  > serious competitor to Maple while moving to a more "Axiom-like"
>  > approach to mathematical content.
>
> Yes, they are *very* strong. One reason for this is that MuPad is free for
> scientists in France, as far as I know. In fact, if MuPad became free, I think
> there would be little to no space left for axiom.

This is our challenge.  Do the mathematicians of the world have enough
spare brain cycles to move beyond the position of a mere consumer
choosing among whatever best black box happens to be available for the
task at hand, to the position of a part-time contributor to a system
permanently owned by the public, and in which the knowledge of *how*
something is done is available at any time to anyone who desires to
read?  To look at the immense complexity of the Linux kernel, gcc,
etc., the challenge is not impossible.  But it is critical that we
prioritize, organize, and gain a community of minds *very* familiar
with the details of the system.  I am the worst offender as the only
thing in which I'm any kind of expert at present is gcl.

If someone can suggest a good, high priority, somewhat manageable
task, I'm willing to do my part.

Take care,