RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting

From: Page, Bill
Subject: RE: [Axiom-developer] RE: [Gcl-devel] Re: axiom porting
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 20:00:25 -0400

Mike,

On Tuesday, May 03, 2005 7:01 PM you wrote:

> Bill Page wrote:
> |
> | Hmmm... perhaps that explains why I don't seem to be able to
> | get Version_2_6_7pre to run the web server program properly
> | under windows?
>
> Looks like it Bill:
>
> $ ./unixport/saved_ansi_gcl.exe
> GCL (GNU Common Lisp)  2.6.7 ANSI    May  3 2005 09:54:15
> >(load "c:/lang/source/gcl/gcl-2.6.6-ansi/http-test.lsp")

> Error in LET [or a callee]: Error "No such file or directory"
> on accepting connction to #<two-way stream 104d45c4>

No it turns out that I was wrong. The attached file does run as
expected on my windows Version_2_6_7pre gcl. But notice two
things:

1) I am not using the ANSI build.
2) The input from the browser is very picky and the server
   code does *no* error checking.

The url path coincides with the root. To display a directory
the url must end in / So on my system

  http://localhost:8085/msys/1.0/home/

displays the directory `c:\msys\1.0\home'. If the url does
not end in / then it is assumed to be a file (html format in
my version, or plain text by default). If the directory or
file does not exist then the server program stops. It works
but there is a lot of room for improvement.

> | I guess I should revert to applying your patches to gcl 2.6.6
> | and see if I can at least get that to work on Windows...

I did not have to do this.

> Interestingly, today I can't get that to work properly either
> insofar as getting the directory listsing you obtain.

I think you must have one too many simultaneous variables that
are affecting your results ... :)

Here are a few links to other people doing http and html in lisp:

http://claws.sourceforge.net/

"The CLAWS is aimed to provide a complete framework for developing
Web applications in Common Lisp. The project is in very early
stage, so no actual code is released (though something can be found
in CVS)."

http://www.franz.com/support/tutorials/
http://www.franz.com/support/tutorials/aserve-tutorial.htm
http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/7.0/doc/aserve/aserve.html
http://opensource.franz.com/aserve/aserve-dist/doc/aserve.html

"AllegroServe is an HTTP server and HTML generator for Lisp. As
with other HTTP servers, such as Apache (Unix) or the Internet
Information Services (Windows), AllegroServe can be used to deliver
web pages and other data over a TCP/IP network (such as the Internet)
to internet browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, and the Internet
Explorer."

http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableaserve

"A free and portable Common Lisp Webserver. Portable AllegroServe
is a variant of AllegroServe(tm) with an explicit emphasis on
portability between Lispsystems and Operating Systems."

http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/server.html
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html
http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/conferences/luv95/tutorial.html

"Major components include a mature HTTP 1.1 server, a robust
caching proxy server, a programmatic client, a constraint-guided
Web Walker, a full-text indexation & retrieval, along with a
variety of Web-related tools and contributions."

etc. etc.