[Axiom-developer] Re: learning Lisp

From: root
Subject: [Axiom-developer] Re: learning Lisp
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 20:59:32 -0500

> Some naive questions.
> I know how to enter a lisp command under Axiom interpreter
>
> )lisp '(aa bb cc)
>
> but is there a way to read a lisp program and run it? Is there a way to run a
> lisp session interactively without having to prefix every line with )lisp?
> Is it "safe" to run lisp command in an experimental fashion -- I am concerned
> with scope?
>
> If not under Axiom, what is your recommendation for an environment to learn
> lisp?

to run a lisp command you can use )lisp.
if you want to run a lot of them from the command line do:

 --> )lisp (setq $dalymode t)
 --> (+ 2 3)
 --> (defun foo (x y) (+ x y))
 --> (foo 2 3)
 --> 2 + 3

$dalymode says:

  if the first character is a '('
    then it is lisp
    else it is axiom

to disable it do:
 --> (setq $dalymode nil)

i wrote this change to the interpreter because i tend to use lisp a lot
during maintenance. it breaks some syntax but you can work around that.
it is just a personal hack and hence isn't documented anywhere (yet).

if you really want to "drop" into lisp do:

  --> )fin
BOOT>

  and now you are talking only to lisp at a lisp command prompt in
  the boot package. to restart axiom type:

BOOT>(restart)