Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion

From: Ralf Hemmecke
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] [build-improvements] Requests for discussion
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 23:38:02 +0200

| If I understand the question, you are asking how we can have only literate | program files in Axiom at the get go and still not depend on noweb. The | simple answer is, we can't.
Actually, we can if we don't insist that literate files must be
pamphlet files or we must use noweb :-)

Well, isn't it much simpler? We are speaking here about the generation of code, so we mean notangle.

If for the bootstrapping file configure.ac.pamplet (that should be enough?) we restrict to just several code chunks of the form

<<*>>=
code here
@
<<*>>=
other code
@

All these <<*>> chunks are linearly concatenated by notangle to give the final output. For that simple task, I am sure that it is not too difficult to write a sed or awk script. And the initial dependency on noweb would be gone. Any sed/awk-programmers out there? Ehm, but then it might depend on awk... what programs are usually assumed to exist before I run ./configure? Windows/Un*x-like/MacOS systems are quite differnt.

I am not sure whether also the Makefile.am.pamphlet files could/should be written in such a linear way. But all the non-pamphlet world can handle just Makefile.am and that is linear. So where would a pamphlet format impose some dependency on noweb for the configure process?

Ralf