Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Axiom-developer] Axiom meeting at ISSAC
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:30:33 -0400

On 01 Aug 2007 18:03:08 -0400, Stephen Wilson wrote:

> Of course I am looking at the old compiler, it is the only compiler.

Just so I am clear: Are you saying that there is only one Spad
compiler in Axiom but there are two parsers?

> It accepts one AST, not two.

Do you mean that only one of the two existing parsers can be used with SPAD?

> That AST does not contain line/column information.  The AST which
> Axiom uses does not contain line/column information.

Is there a good reason why it does not use the 2nd parser?

> That information is intentionally erased at one point of parsing or another,
> old or new, it does not matter.

I hope this is a sufficiently technical issue that it is possible to
reach an agreement. Is it possible now to use "the compiler components
in the form of a library which can be used by other aspects Axiom"? Or
not?

If the answer is yes, then some documentation on how to do this would
be much more useful than having to refer to the source code.