bibulus-dev

[Bibulus-dev] Re: Math

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Math
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 21:36:36 +0200

Halloechen!

> there's a problem with titles: Mathematics.
>
> With BibTeX, it was quite common to simply switch to math mode,
> as for example in xampl.bib:
>
> @TECHREPORT{techreport-minimal,
>    author = "Tom Terrific",
>    title = "An {$O(n \log n / \! \log\log n)$} Sorting Algorithm",
>    institution = "Fanstord University",
>    year = 1988,
> }
>
> For the time being, I guess we have to restrict people to using
> whatever characters they can find in Unicode, combined with italics
> and bold, but this is hardly a satisfactory solution.
>
> Would it be at all feasible to include MathML into Bibulus XML?

Yes.  You just have to add it to <formatted> and include the MathML
DTD into your DTD as an external parsed entity.

> And how difficult would it be to convert this to the various
> output formats afterwards?

Well, it's not easy.  On the other hand, you can pass it verbatim to
(X)HTML and XML DocBook.  Then it's not your problem anymore.  ;-)
For LaTeX (or BibTeX), you have to convert it with e.g. XSLT.  But
this has been done already by numerous people.

Tschoe,
Torsten.