bibulus-dev

Re: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Math

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Re: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Math
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 22:48:10 +0200

Halloechen!

address@hidden (Thomas M. Widmann) writes:

> "Torsten Bronger" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Halloechen!
>
> Hallo!
>
> Welcome to bibulus-dev!

I'm glad to be here.  :-)

>> > there's a problem with titles: Mathematics.
>> >
>> > With BibTeX, it was quite common to simply switch to math mode,
>> > as for example in xampl.bib:
>> >
>> > @TECHREPORT{techreport-minimal,
>> >    author = "Tom Terrific",
>> >    title = "An {$O(n \log n / \! \log\log n)$} Sorting Algorithm",
>> >    institution = "Fanstord University",
>> >    year = 1988,
>> > }
>> >
>> > For the time being, I guess we have to restrict people to using
>> > whatever characters they can find in Unicode, combined with italics
>> > and bold, but this is hardly a satisfactory solution.
>> >
>> > Would it be at all feasible to include MathML into Bibulus XML?
>>
>> Yes.  You just have to add it to <formatted> and include the MathML
>> DTD into your DTD as an external parsed entity.
>
> OK.

I can show you how I did it:

<!ENTITY % MathML.dtd PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 2.0//EN"
                             "mathml2.dtd">
 %MathML.dtd;

<!ENTITY % HTMLlat1 PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Latin 1//EN//HTML"
                           "HTMLlat1.ent">
 %HTMLlat1;

<!ENTITY % HTMLsymbol PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Symbols//EN//HTML"
                             "HTMLsymbol.ent">
 %HTMLsymbol;

<!ENTITY % HTMLspecial PUBLIC "-//W3C//ENTITIES Special//EN//HTML"
                              "HTMLspecial.ent">
 %HTMLspecial;

With this all named HTML entities are included, too.  Of course, the
XML tools must be able to find the MathML DTD.  I had problems with
this point.  Unless we have a counterpart for SGML's Catalog scheme,
I put everything into one big file called hmml2dst.dtd and included
it with

<!ENTITY % MathML-and-HTML-distillated.dtd
       PUBLIC "-//Torsten Bronger//DTD MathML 2.0 distillated and HTML 4.0
entities//EN"
              "hmml2dst.dtd">
 %MathML-and-HTML-distillated.dtd;

in my DTD.  Probably it's wise to switch to something like the
following

<!ENTITY % inline "(#PCDATA | b | i | t | math)*">

for all inline content models eventually.  Most DTDs do something
like this.  Alternatively, you can use the "mml:" namespace for
math.  It's possibly more secure, but I think it just makes typing
more difficult.

> [...]
>
>> For LaTeX (or BibTeX), you have to convert it with e.g. XSLT.  But
>> this has been done already by numerous people.
>
> Has it?  Do you have a reference?  And is any implementation of it
> released under the GNU license so that we can include it?

I did it for my tbook DTD.  But you have to extract the MathML code,
I'm afraid.  The same is true for Casellas' db2latex at
<http://db2latex.sf.net>.  Gurari tried it, too, but it was not a
very serious approach, just a test.  However it shows how simple it
can be basically.  All three variants are very free, I think.

I regard my approach as the best one because it is the most
complete.  You need only a subset because only inline math is
interesting in bibliographies I think.

See

@MISC{Gurari2000,
   title = "{XSLT} from {XHTML}+{MathML} to {\LaTeX}",
   author = "Eitan M. Gurari",
   url = "http://www.cis.ohio-state.edu/~gurari/docs/mml-00/xhm2latex.html";,
   year = 2000,
   month = jul,
}
@MISC{DB2LaTeX,
   key = "DB2\LaTeX{}",
   title = "{DB2\LaTeX{}}",
   author = "Ramon Casellas",
   url = "http://db2latex.sourceforge.net";,
   note = "XSLT Style Sheets für DocBook nach \LaTeX{} Trafo",
   year = 2002,
   month = jan,
}
@MISC{tbook,
   title = "The {\sffamily \textbf{t}book} system for XML authoring",
   author = "Torsten Bronger",
   url = "http://tbookdtd.sourceforge.net";,
   year = 2003,
   month = mar,
}

(And I'm still looking for a good BibTeX replacement in tbook. ;-))

Tschoe,
Torsten.