bibulus-dev

Re: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Many authors

From: Thomas M. Widmann
Subject: Re: [Bibulus-dev] Re: Many authors
Date: 08 Apr 2003 19:53:13 +0100

address@hidden (Palle Jørgensen) writes:

> address@hidden (Thomas M. Widmann) writes:
>
> > A real example: [...]
>
> It seems to med, that one has to specify `nametype="familylast"'
> awfully many times.

Yes. :-(

> Wouldn't it be an idea to make it possible to set this parameter
> globally?

No, because this wouldn't make any sense (it's about the type of the
name, not how names should be displayed).  But perhaps it would be
better to leave it out unless it is "familyfirst".  Actually, I don't
know whether it's really needed for anything but Chinese names --
people from most other places where family names normally come first
change the order when publishing in English.  For instance, a
Hungarian called Adorján István in Hungarian would expect to become
"Adorján, István" or "I. Adorján" in an English, just as a Japanese
called "Mitsubishi Yukiko" would normally become "Mitsubishi, Yukiko"
or "Y. Mitsubishi"; but a Chinese called "Deng Xiaopeng" should stay
that way, so the nametype should be set to "familyfirst".

I must admit the current system is somewhat simplistic, and it ought
to be analysed further.

/Thomas
--
\author{Thomas Widmann\thanks{3/2,  54 Mavisbank Gardens,  Glasgow  G51\,1HL,
Scotland, address@hidden Tel.~+44 (141) 419\,9872.}\\{\tt address@hidden