bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Building for Windows with Equalizer enabled

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Building for Windows with Equalizer enabled
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:52:29 +0100

Hi Joachim!

On Fri, 10 Feb 2012 11:19:48 +0100, Joachim Tesch wrote:
> I'm currently trying to build 1.3.0 for Windows with Equalizer
> enabled.

You may be the first one to try this - as far as I know, Bino+Equalizer
has only been used on Linux and Mac OS so far.

> I use the mingw-cross-env setup on Ubuntu 11.10 and get the following
> message when running configure:
>
> --
> checking for libEqualizer... no
> configure: WARNING: optional library libEqualizer not found:
> configure: WARNING: No package 'Equalizer' found
> --
>
> Looks like the equalizer package needs to be added to mingw-cross-env.
>
> I am new to mingw-cross-env and was wondering if it is possible to
> build Bino 1.3.0 for Windows with Equalizer enabled.
> If yes any pointer in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

I did not yet succeed to cross-build Equalizer using mingw-cross-env.
One unsolved problem is that I run into 'undefined reference to vtable
for eq::fabric::Object' errors during linking, and I have no idea how
to solve them. See <https://github.com/Eyescale/Equalizer/issues/7> for
more information.

Another problem will probably be that Equalizer does not really support
static libraries (as far as I know), but mingw-cross-env is purely
based on static libraries.

You could try to compile and link with the prebuilt Equalizer binaries
for Windows instead. This should be possible if you either have
Equalizer.pc/Collage.pc files in your PKG_CONFIG_PATH_i686_pc_mingw32
path, or if you set the libEqualizer_CFLAGS and libEqualizer_LIBS
environment variables before running Bino's configure script.

But I never tried that.

> Sidenote:
> The recommended mingw-cross-env revision 1955 fails to build in
> package mingwrt. I ended up using r2235 and also had to remove libvpx
> from the ffmpeg package build to get mingw-cross-env compiled.

Yes, the instructions need to be updated. I hope mingw-cross-env will
get around to release a new stable version soon.

Martin