bino-list

Re: [Bino-list] Surround Sound via ALSA

From: Martin Lambers
Subject: Re: [Bino-list] Surround Sound via ALSA
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:42:23 +0100

Hi Martin!

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 17:04:05 +0100, Martin Egge wrote:
> I've tried to get surround sound working with bino 1.2.0 under Ubuntu
> Natty 11.04 for hours without any success. Now it's time to ask you
> for help.
>
> If I call bino like this:
> -------------------------
> DISPLAY=:1.0 /usr/bin/bino --output=top-bottom -n -f left.avi
> right.avi audio_51.wav -L debug
>
> I get the following error:
> --------------------------
> AL lib: alsa.c:743: set buffer time near failed: Das Argument ist
> ungültig bino: [dbg] Ausnahme: Kein OpenAL Kontext verfügbar.
> bino: [err] Kein OpenAL Kontext verfügbar.

My guess is that this has something to do with your OpenAL
configuration.

You might want to try 'drivers = alsa' to force OpenAL
to use ALSA. It might also help to disable 'format =
AL_FORMAT_51CHN16'; OpenAL should detect the output format if the ALSA
device is configured for 5.1.

Does surround sound work with other applications?

Ubuntu wants to use PulseAudio as far as I know, and that should work
fine, too, when you configure PulseAudio for surround sound. With the
latest Bino versions, you can select any audio device known to OpenAL:

$ bino --list-audio-devices
bino: N audio devices available:
bino:     1: PulseAudio Default
bino:     2: PulseAudio ...
bino:     ...
$ bino --audio-device=3 ...

(Or select the device in the GUI).

This should work without manual configuration of ALSA / OpenAL.

Martin