[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Process substitution failure on HPUX

From: Kevin Caswick
Subject: Process substitution failure on HPUX
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:47:44 -0500

Configuration Information [Automatically generated, do not change]:
Machine: hppa2.0n
OS: hpux11.00
Compiler: gcc
Compilation CFLAGS:  -DPROGRAM='bash' -DCONF_HOSTTYPE='hppa2.0n' -DCONF_OSTYPE='
hpux11.00' -DCONF_MACHTYPE='hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00' -DCONF_VENDOR='hp' -DSHELL -D
HAVE_CONFIG_H -DHPUX  -I.  -I. -I./include -I./lib  -O
uname output: HP-UX dims-dev B.11.11 U 9000/800 834930630 unlimited-user license
Machine Type: hppa2.0n-hp-hpux11.00

Bash Version: 2.05b
Patch Level: 0
Release Status: release

Bash is exiting with broken pipe error or hanging when trying to redirect stdout
 to a process via process substitution. This is only happening on our HPUX machi
ne, not other machines I have access to.
In the script I am working with, it sometimes hangs, sometimes gets broken pipe
error, and sometimes works. The simplified test case below gives broken pipe err
or 95% of the time, and hangs the remaining 5% or so of the time. I didn't see t
he case below ever work on the problem machine, but it may do so occasionally.

bash -xc "exec > >(tee -a /tmp/foo) 2>&1; who"
The above command produces a broken pipe error on this machine and does not put
anything in /tmp/foo. On other machines I have access to, it runs who successful
ly and puts a copy of who output in /tmp/foo

Kevin L Caswick
Member of Technical Staff - Programmer Analyst
WS Packaging Group, Inc.
1102 Jefferson Street
Algoma, WI 54201
E-Mail: mailto:kcaswick@wspackaging.com
Phone: (920)-487-6316
Fax: (920)-487-6245

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]