[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Bug-ddrescue] ddrescue. NTFS-3g eating 100%. Solved by switching to

From: Gene Vayngrib
Subject: Re: [Bug-ddrescue] ddrescue. NTFS-3g eating 100%. Solved by switching to ext3
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 21:44:16 -0700 (PDT)

I feel I need to report here a huge problem I had with ntfs-3g and the one I
researched for hours.
I have seen other people report it as well but no real solution was
I had a ddrescue imaging to a file on an ntfs partition (mounted with
ntfs-3g) on a USB drive on Ubuntu 9.04 LiveCD. It was going slower and
slower, although number of errors was not increasing. I tried all the
ddrescue options I could find, but nothing helped - it was working for 5
days already and was slowing down so much so it would never end. By the time
I stopped it it copied 112Gb out of 223Gb.
Then I noticed that ntfs-3g was eating 100% cpu. So, I created an ext3
partition on the same USB drive, copied my image file and log there and
restarted ddrescue.
Boy! it finished in a couple of hours!

Hope this helps. I still have the original drive, and plan to send the
laptop with it for repair tomorrow evening. So if you want me to try
something to see what causes the problem - let me know.


View this message in context: 
Sent from the Gnu - ddrescue mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]