[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
GNU Parallel Bug Reports GNU Parallel 20170522 ('Macron') released [stab
GNU Parallel Bug Reports GNU Parallel 20170522 ('Macron') released [stable]
Sun, 21 May 2017 21:15:49 +0200
GNU Parallel 20170522 ('Macron') [stable] has been released. It is
available for download at: http://ftpmirror.gnu.org/parallel/
Very little new functionality was introduced so this is a good
candidate for a stable release.
Haiku of the month:
Always test your script
using a --dry-run
-- Ole Tange
New in this release:
* --timeout can now use s=second,m=minute,h=hour,d=day.
* --dr is now an alias for --dry-run.
* Vote for GNU Parallel's community ads on
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Feature Detection in Visual Cortex during
Different Functional States
* GNU Parallel was cited in: From genotype to phenotype: inferring
relationships between microbial traits and genomic components
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Designing fecal microbiota transplant
trials that account for differences in donor stool efficacy
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Assessing the predictability of
anharmonic vibrational modes at the example of hydroxyl groups - ad
hoc construction of localised modes and the influence of structural
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Mapping Environmental Influences on
Utility Fire Threat
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Weak vs. Strong Disorder Superfluid-Bose
Glass Transition in One Dimension https://arxiv.org/pdf/1704.02257.pdf
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Online Automatic Post-editing for MT in a
Multi-Domain Translation Environment
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Cross-calibration of S-NPP VIIRS
moderate-resolution reflective solar bands against MODIS Aqua over
dark water scenes
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Scattering Networks: Efficient 2D
Implementation And Application To Melanoma Classification
* GNU Parallel was cited in: Genome-scale detection of positive
selection in 9 primates predicts human-virus evolutionary conflicts
* GNU Parallel is used in: Creates a speech dataset for deep learning
* GNU Parallel is used in: Parse and process the demixing secrets
dataset (DSD100) https://github.com/faroit/dsdtools
* First glance at the gnu parallel utility
* Installing parallel from source
* How to run command or code in parallel in bash shell under Linux or
* Parallel Serial Jobs Using GNU Parallel
* GNU Parallel or How to list millions of S3 objects
* Which Is the Best Tool for Copying a Large Directory Tree Locally?
* Bug fixes and man page updates.
GNU Parallel - For people who live life in the parallel lane.
= About GNU Parallel =
GNU Parallel is a shell tool for executing jobs in parallel using one
or more computers. A job can be a single command or a small script
that has to be run for each of the lines in the input. The typical
input is a list of files, a list of hosts, a list of users, a list of
URLs, or a list of tables. A job can also be a command that reads from
a pipe. GNU Parallel can then split the input and pipe it into
commands in parallel.
If you use xargs and tee today you will find GNU Parallel very easy to
use as GNU Parallel is written to have the same options as xargs. If
you write loops in shell, you will find GNU Parallel may be able to
replace most of the loops and make them run faster by running several
jobs in parallel. GNU Parallel can even replace nested loops.
GNU Parallel makes sure output from the commands is the same output as
you would get had you run the commands sequentially. This makes it
possible to use output from GNU Parallel as input for other programs.
You can find more about GNU Parallel at: http://www.gnu.org/s/parallel/
You can install GNU Parallel in just 10 seconds with: (wget -O -
pi.dk/3 || curl pi.dk/3/) | bash
Watch the intro video on http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL284C9FF2488BC6D1
Walk through the tutorial (man parallel_tutorial). Your commandline
will love you for it.
When using programs that use GNU Parallel to process data for
publication please cite:
O. Tange (2011): GNU Parallel - The Command-Line Power Tool, ;login:
The USENIX Magazine, February 2011:42-47.
If you like GNU Parallel:
* Give a demo at your local user group/team/colleagues
* Post the intro videos on Reddit/Diaspora*/forums/blogs/
* Get the merchandise https://www.gnu.org/s/parallel/merchandise.html
* Request or write a review for your favourite blog or magazine
* Request or build a package for your favourite distribution (if it is
not already there)
* Invite me for your next conference
If you use programs that use GNU Parallel for research:
* Please cite GNU Parallel in you publications (use --citation)
If GNU Parallel saves you money:
* (Have your company) donate to FSF https://my.fsf.org/donate/
= About GNU SQL =
GNU sql aims to give a simple, unified interface for accessing
databases through all the different databases' command line clients.
So far the focus has been on giving a common way to specify login
information (protocol, username, password, hostname, and port number),
size (database and table size), and running queries.
The database is addressed using a DBURL. If commands are left out you
will get that database's interactive shell.
When using GNU SQL for a publication please cite:
O. Tange (2011): GNU SQL - A Command Line Tool for Accessing Different
Databases Using DBURLs, ;login: The USENIX Magazine, April 2011:29-32.
= About GNU Niceload =
GNU niceload slows down a program when the computer load average (or
other system activity) is above a certain limit. When the limit is
reached the program will be suspended for some time. If the limit is a
soft limit the program will be allowed to run for short amounts of
time before being suspended again. If the limit is a hard limit the
program will only be allowed to run when the system is below the
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- GNU Parallel Bug Reports GNU Parallel 20170522 ('Macron') released [stable],
Ole Tange <=