chicken-hackers

Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production

From: Jörg F. Wittenberger
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] CHICKEN in production
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 11:35:53 +0200

I don't think that I ever wrote that using memory debuggers like valgrind would work out of the box with chicken to any usable extend.

To the contrary: when I did so, I posted fixes to runtime.c the mailing list to make this feasible.

/Jerry

Am 08.10.2014 um 23:17 schrieb Oleg Kolosov:
>>We tried to improve this with the insertion of #line directives without much
success - code generator is too complex, especially where FFI is involved. We are
inserting logging statements everywhere. Unfortunately logging considerably uglifies
the code and makes some functional programming idioms much harder to use (like
map/fold/cut oneliners). Also various analysis tools like Valgrind and libc malloc
checkers fall flat when Chicken is involved.

>I think Jerry mentioned he used Valgrind for debugging CHICKEN/C code,
>and malloc checkers should work just fine with CHICKEN: it doesn't mess
>with the C heap.
Maybe I’ve missed something, but everything I’ve tried gave me endless lists of
leaked memory pointers. Maybe this can be amended with some special
configuration or plugin. Building modern analysis tools is quite hard with our
ancient toolchain, so I’m stuck with whatever the upstream supports - those are
usually tightly coupled with the device SDK. Having specialized memory checker
with CHICKEN knowledge could be really helpful.