Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages

From: Peter Busser
Subject: Re: [Chicken-users] RedHat and Debian packages
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 23:47:07 +0100

Hi!

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 12:52:11PM +0100, Peter Bex wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 01:15:08PM -0800, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > But the clear disadvantage is it's only applicable to Debian systems.
> > Still, I'll wager that nobody has a problem with what you're up to!
>
> If you would like a completely portable packaging system, you could have
> a look at pkgsrc (www.pkgsrc.org).

All the package systems I know so far are portable. I think it is better
to use the native packaging system. For a number of BSD systems that may
be pkgsrc, for many Linux systems that is for instance DEB or RPM.
Mixing different packaging systems is a very bad idea IMHO.

But feel free to help with porting Chicken stuff to *BSD. I mean, the
more systems on which native Chicken packages are available, the merrier.

Groetjes,
Peter.