Re: LGPL for Dummies...

From: Brian Jones
Subject: Re: LGPL for Dummies...
Date: 06 Apr 2001 07:56:47 -0400

Disclaimer: IANAL

"Brad \(Online\) Jarvinen" <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I could use a plain English translation of the LGPL:
>
> If I chose to take the AWT from ClassPath and
> modify it for my own VM, are the following statements
> true according to the LGPL?
>
> - I cannot charge a license fee for using my VM
>   because of the modified AWT.

You could charge for your VM.  You can even charge people for
Classpath source/binaries.

> - the modified AWT source must be made available
>   to the end user (e.g. cannot just send class files).

Yes, you must give them source to whatever parts of Classpath you
distribute.

> - the rest of the VM and class packages that don't
>   relate to the modified AWT do not fall under the
>   same LGPL (i.e. can be private).

Yes, usage of those libraries alone won't force your VM and other
class packages to be non-private.

> - any Java app that uses the modified AWT is also
>   not covered under that same LGPL (i.e. can be
>   private).

Yes, we've never intended anything otherwise.  The point, more or
less, is to produce a free software version of an important part of a
fairly popular language.  Sun's current licensing is too restrictive
to be called "free software."

Brian
--
Brian Jones <address@hidden>