Re: build ideas

From: Bryce McKinlay
Subject: Re: build ideas
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:52:45 +1300

On Thursday, October 18, 2001, at 02:19  AM, Brian Jones wrote:

Eric Blake <address@hidden> writes:

By the way, I think developers should have the autotools installed on
their machine, so I see no reason for CVS to keep track of generated
files like configure and Makefile.in, only the originals like
Makefile.am.  The generated files should be part of the distribution,
though, since end users should not be required to have all the developer
tools just to use the final product.  Fortunately, automake does this
correctly.

I don't agree. It makes things much easier for people to build if Makefile.in and configure are included in the tree. Its hard to remember to regenerate them in your local tree every time they might have changed, and its a pain to have to install automake and autoconf on every machine you might want to develop on. On the other hand, its almost no additional effort to check in updated copies of the files whenever actual changes to them are made.

regards

Bryce.