Re: gcj vs classpath merge status

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: gcj vs classpath merge status
Date: 29 Jan 2002 14:48:07 +0000

"Aaron M. Renn" <address@hidden> writes:

> I believe all of the easy parts of java.net are already merged.  What
> remains is the native stuff, including the corresponding Java classes
> and URL's.  I think.

The native code won't be merged though will it?

As far as I can tell the Classpath/libgcj project is creating 3
things:

- a standard java source code base implementing the java libs
- native jni libs to implement the native parts of the libs
- native cni libs to implement the native parts of the libs for gcj

As such we should try to reduce the source code differences
between the CLasspath java and the GCJ java.

I will have a crack at doing that for the plain socket stuff.

Note that I have some socket channel stuff (for 1.4 compatability)
which I've been working on for ages... I'm only doing CNI at the
moment but it should be fairly easy to move to JNI.

Nic