Re: TODO list for the next release

From: Mark Wielaard
Subject: Re: TODO list for the next release
Date: 03 Feb 2002 21:53:40 +0100

Hi Bryce,

On Sun, 2002-02-03 at 21:27, Bryce McKinlay wrote:
> Mark Wielaard wrote:
>
> >- Add workaround for compiling with gcj (3.0.x and 3.1 CVS). I have two
> >  workaround for compiling with gcj in my local tree. It might be a good
> >  idea to apply them.
>
> I will try to fix any remaining issues preventing classpath being
> compiled with GCC 3.1.

The only issue that I don't know how to work around in Classpath for 3.1
is the one that Nick also just found:
<http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&database=gcc&pr=4715>

Other then that there aren't any real issues (all the rest has
workarounds in the Classpath code).

There is a workaround in java/lang/reflect/Proxy.java that works around
a bug in 3.0.x but which I believe is already fixed in 3.1:

            // FIXME workaround for bug in gcj 3.0.x
            // Not needed with the latest gcj from cvs
            //clazz = (Configuration.HAVE_NATIVE_GENERATE_PROXY_CLASS
            //         ? generateProxyClass0(loader, data)
            //         : new ClassFactory(data).generate(loader));
            if (Configuration.HAVE_NATIVE_GENERATE_PROXY_CLASS)
              clazz = generateProxyClass0(loader, data);
            else
              {
                ClassFactory cf = new ClassFactory(data);
                clazz = cf.generate(loader);
              }

There is the java.util.TreeMap.TreeIterator constructor workaround for
<http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view&database=gcc&pr=4695>:

    TreeIterator(int type)
    {
      // FIXME gcj cannot handle this. Bug java/4695
      // this(type, firstNode(), nil);
      this.type = type;
      this.next = firstNode();
      this.max = nil;
    }

And the workaround for Class.java that I just checked in since gcj
doesn't like the fact the there is a field named protectionDomain in
that class.