Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Compiling with jikes > 1.13
Date: 05 Feb 2002 14:08:26 -0700

>>>>> "Mark" == Mark Wielaard <address@hidden> writes:

Mark> That would be very nice to have. But we need a way to check if
Mark> it solves the verify errors. I will spend some time tomorrow to
Mark> see how/if we can use the gcj verifier for this.

There are actually two verifiers in gcj -- the one in the compiler and
the one in the runtime.

Using the runtime verifier in this situation would be hard, because
you'd have to convince libgcj to load the bytecode for various java.*
classes, which are preloaded.

So it would probably be easier to use the verifier in the compiler.
The simplest way, which I use quite a bit, is:

    gcj --syntax-only foo.class

There are some obscure cases that gcj handles incorrectly, but these
are very unlikely to be an issue.

I suppose you could try to integrate the libgcj verifier into ORP or
one of the other VMs.  That might not be too hard.

Tom