Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues

From: David P Grove
Subject: Re: Classpath build process and VM-specific issues
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 10:10:36 -0500

> I would be interested in a quick poll of VM implementors using Classpath:
> do you care more about having fewer diffs with "stock" Classpath or
> modifying & optimizing your VM's core classes to eke out optimal
> performance?

Both of course ;-)

More seriously, I'm a little cautious when thinking about introducing an extra level of object instances in performance critical classes (or classes which have a lot of instances at runtime), but an extra level of static (or final virtual) calls should never be an issue.  If you're in the performance game, your inliner has to eat up this kind of stuff with no problems, otherwise you have absolutely no chance of dealing with the application code.

Effective automatic object-inlining (to optimize away levels of redundant objects) is still very much bleeding-edge research.  Effective automatic inlining of static and virtual function calls is old, well-known technology and you have to do it and do it well to be in the OO performance game.

--dave