Re: [Classpathx-discuss] More Java Extensions

From: Andrew John Hughes
Subject: Re: [Classpathx-discuss] More Java Extensions
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 21:21:17 +0100

On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 20:47, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Andrew John Hughes wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-07-03 at 15:19, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> >
> >>According to the page above, there was once a free implementation of
> >>java3d available at http://members.linuxstart.com/~jfreed/ but it
> >>doesn't seem toexist any more. Fortunately, archive.org has saved a copy
> >>of the page on
> >>http://web.archive.org/web/20001012122624/http://members.linuxstart.com/~jfreed/
> >>
> >>Jean-Christophe Taveau has been last seen on the newsgroups here
> >>http://groups.google.com/groups?q=jc.taveau&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=3DF9A91A.8070907%40pobox.com&rnum=1
> >>

> > Maybe worth looking at if I can still contact him.
> >
> >>Regarding legal things, java3d seems to be covered by some patents. See
> >>http://www.3dcompression.com/patents.phtml for details. I have no idea
> >>how important 3d compression is for Java3d, but since you asked ;)
> >>

> > Good point.  How does existing Free Software deal with patents?  I know
> > OpenSSL provides some patented algorithms, leaving it up to the user to
> > provide licenses if necessary or not compile them.  And, yes, I know
> > what a huge pain in the ass they are -- I've been doing my own bit to
> > try and stop us getting software patents here in the UK.  Would we never
> > be able to fully implement Java 3D due to patents?  This being a heavy
> > research area,  no doubt more than 3D compression is covered.
>
> I guess the most commong approach is: don't look at patents, avoid them
> if they somehow get brought up in your face. See
> http://lwn.net/Articles/7636/ for Linus' take on it. :)
>
> cheers,
> dalibor topic

Yes, I like that defence, although I'm not sure how much of a defence
ignorance is (I know it isn't for the law).  Unfortunately, the case
with these software patents is that some code will almost undoubtedly be
tripping over some patent, no doubt let through by a dump patent
official who knows nothing about technology.  We can only do what we can
now, and see what problems come in the future.  In most cases, patent
problems usually show up the futility of the patent (from a common sense
approach, anyway) rather than the stupidity of the hackers.
--
Andrew :-)

Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics' respond those who don't want to learn.