Re: benchmarks (was Re: Progress on a Classpath mauve suite?)

From: David P Grove
Subject: Re: benchmarks (was Re: Progress on a Classpath mauve suite?)
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 18:42:39 -0500

I think you need to understand the point of the benchmark suite.  The whole goal is reproducible science, so if someone doesn't cite the exact version of the benchmarks, then it isn't useful (in an academic sense).  The license forces that plus proper academic credit (ie a citation) for the benchmark suite, which personally I think is quite fair given how much work was put into putting it together (much more than the typical academic paper).

I know some of the people who put together the benchmark suite fairly well and it was a massive effort (think person-years, not person-weeks; good, usable, portable, benchmark suites are a lot of work).  It would be a shame if your politics prevented you from using it, but that's life I suppose.

--dave