Re: RPM spec file?

From: Archie Cobbs
Subject: Re: RPM spec file?
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:37:12 -0600

Andy Walter wrote:
On Saturday 19 March 2005 00:32, Archie Cobbs wrote:

Who do I ask about building a Debian package for JC?

Are you sure you want to manually create rpm and deb packages?

Thanks for the link... looks interesting.

Preferably someone *else* would build the packages :-) This is how
e.g. FreeBSD works: as a port maintainer all you need to supply
are the build instructions, not the actual binary package.

Seems like in the Linux world it's more of a random free-for-all,
though maybe Debian works like FreeBSD too?

In any case it seems silly to require every package maintainer to
have lying around an instance of every possible Linux distribution
just so they can build that flavor of RPM. Guess I've never really
understood how it's all supposed to work on Linux. E.g., why isn't
there a central repository for RPM spec files? Etc.

-Archie