Re: Proposal: Graphics2D rewrite branch

From: Thomas Fitzsimmons
Subject: Re: Proposal: Graphics2D rewrite branch
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2005 11:49:26 -0500

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 13:20 +0000, theUser BL wrote:
> >On this branch I'd like to do several things:
> >
> >1) Make Graphics2D the default
> >2) Remove Graphics
>
> What do you mean with this?

I meant remove GdkGraphics.

> Does this mean, that Graphics is based on Graphics2D and so for plain AWT or
> Swing programs Cairo is needed?
>
> I don't hope so. I have the hope, that it goes in any time the other way
> around, that Graphics2D is based on Graphics and created with the plain
> AWT-Graphics.

Yes, inheritance in java.awt will work the same way, with Graphics2D
inheriting from Graphics.  It's just that we'll only have a peer that
wraps Cairo and not a peer that wraps GDK drawing primitives.  So the
inheritance graph will be:

Graphics <- Graphics2D <- CairoGraphics2D <- ...

with the ... representing specialized graphics objects for different
surfaces.

> So it would also be easier to port free Javas to Windows and MacOSX.
> Something like Sun does with its implementation. So that on Windows and
> MacOSX "only" the bindings to GTK+ are ported to the Windows-API and the
> Aqua-API.
> But if Cairo is needed, it seems, that you also need later on Windows and
> MacOSX Cairo. And that is something what I don't like.

This rewrite will make the GTK AWT peers depend on GTK-2.8 which in turn
depends on Cairo so avoiding a Cairo dependency is impossible if we want
to move to newer GTK releases.

Tom