classpathx-javamail

[Classpathx-javamail] Re: classpathx volunteer

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: [Classpathx-javamail] Re: classpathx volunteer
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 10:37:41 +0100

>>> Ben Speakmon <address@hidden> 02-Jun-01 3:55:24 AM >>>

re: classpathx javamail website
>Yeah, I can crank that out before I leave. Any things
>I should know?

It's not released yet, it's not even finished yet. Check out the
activation website for a bit of a template. The javamail page will
need to be much more complicated of course, perhaps one page per
provider?

Mr Dog: do you have any ideas about this?

>Should I just stick it in CVS when it's done?

What I suggest is that you put it into the CVS but don't link it from
the main page. That way the rest of us get a chance to review it and
suggest stuff.

What do you think?

>By the way, is there a special reason we're using
>LGPL instead of GPL for the classpathx projects?

Classpathx came from OJE and at OJE Andrew used the LGPL. Andrew is
an open source person and doesn't really believe in the GPL. When I
took over (at his request) I persuaded him that it was better to host
the project under GNU and promised that it wouldn't make much
difference to licences.

What I'm saying to contributors is a condensed form of what the GNU
project says to other contributors, something like this: choose a
licence; I prefer that you use the GPL but I'm not going to reject
your contribution or force you to change the licence if you use the
LGPL.

That way each part may be seperately licenced but it's only a choice
between GPL and LGPL. Some of our authors are already using the GPL,
the XML stuff is also GPL licenced. I'm not sure whether I'll offer
the IMAP provider under the GPL or not.

Nic