Re: feature request for coreutils: b2sum

From: Zooko Wilcox-OHearn
Subject: Re: feature request for coreutils: b2sum
Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 16:06:37 +0000

Thanks for the suggestion, Pádraig. I'll submit a feature request to openssl.

I think the name of the command is actually important:

My goal here is to make md5sum extinct, because it is unsafe. That's
why we made BLAKE2 to be faster than MD5, because we figured that we'd
never managed to extinguish md5sum usage as long as the suggested
replacement was slower.

Likewise, I think it is important that the command be named "b2sum",
or something similarly memorable and pronounceable, because I imagine
that something named "chksum -a blake2sp" will never take over from
something named "md5sum". That's the way people are, I've noticed. :-)

Regards,

Zooko