Re: coreutils-9.3.147-d553ab on Android

From: Pádraig Brady
Subject: Re: coreutils-9.3.147-d553ab on Android
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 12:27:20 +0100

On 28/08/2023 11:14, Bruno Haible wrote:
On Android (Termux app, Android API level 24, Android 11.0), I see
14 ERRORs and 29 test FAILures:

ERROR: tests/ls/ls-time
ERROR: tests/cp/attr-existing
ERROR: tests/cp/link-preserve
ERROR: tests/cp/preserve-link
ERROR: tests/dd/misc
ERROR: tests/du/inodes
ERROR: tests/ln/misc
ERROR: tests/mv/force
ERROR: tests/mv/hard-2
ERROR: tests/mv/hard-3
ERROR: tests/mv/hard-4
ERROR: tests/mv/i-link-no
ERROR: tests/mv/symlink-onto-hardlink
ERROR: tests/mv/symlink-onto-hardlink-to-self

FAIL: tests/help/help-version
FAIL: link
FAIL: ln
FAIL: tests/env/env-signal-handler
FAIL: tests/misc/close-stdout
FAIL: tests/chroot/chroot-fail
FAIL: tests/csplit/csplit
FAIL: tests/date/date-debug
FAIL: tests/groups/groups-dash
FAIL: tests/printf/printf
FAIL: tests/shred/shred-size
FAIL: tests/sort/sort-debug-warn
FAIL: tests/sort/sort-merge-fdlimit
FAIL: tests/split/l-chunk
FAIL: tests/stat/stat-fmt
FAIL: tests/tac/tac-2-nonseekable
FAIL: tests/timeout/timeout
FAIL: tests/cp/link
FAIL: tests/cp/link-deref
FAIL: tests/cp/same-file
FAIL: tests/df/df-output
FAIL: tests/du/hard-link
FAIL: tests/ln/backup-1
FAIL: tests/ln/hard-to-sym
FAIL: tests/ls/removed-directory
FAIL: tests/ls/time-style-diag
FAIL: tests/mv/childproof
FAIL: tests/mv/i-4
FAIL: tests/tail/follow-stdin

Part of the failures might be explained by the fact that in this
environment, hard links are disallowed. Instead, symlinks can be used.

Find attached the log file.

Additionally, a few of the gnulib-tests fails, one of the coming from
coreutils:

FAIL: test-mbsalign
===================

../../gnulib-tests/test-mbsalign.c:35: assertion 'n == 4' failed
Aborted
FAIL test-mbsalign (exit status: 134)

It's caused by a POSIX compliance issue in Android. Find attached
a patch that avoids this test failure.

Right. A lot of the test failures are just because
curly quotes are being used in diagnostics,
thus causing expected messages not to match.
Searching for curly quotes in the logs show many instances like:

  -sort: text ordering performed using simple byte comparison
  +sort: text ordering performed using ‘C.UTF-8’ sorting rules

Given the utils themselves should be fine,
and fixing this up might be quite invasive,
I won't look at addressing all these for this release.

I've applied your patch.

thanks!
Pádraig