debian-sf-users

[Debian-sf-users] State of the 'Forge?

From: Mathew Jason Binkley
Subject: [Debian-sf-users] State of the 'Forge?
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 12:18:51 -0500

Hi.  I'm trying to build a website using Sourceforge or something similar for
Vanderbilt University researchers to host computer source and datasets.  Thus
far I've looked at:

     * Debian-SF      [ http://www.freesoftware.fsf.org/debian-sf/ ]
     * sf-genericinst [ http://sf-genericinst.sourceforge.net ]
     * Savannah       [ http://savannah.gnu.org ]

and Sourceforge clones:

     * XoopsForge     [ http://xoopsforge.sourceforge.net ]
     * GBorg          [ http://gborg.postgresql.org ]

Not to be mean, but they are all either bleeding raw to the point of being
unmaintainable, or lack the basic functionality we need (CVS/web/mailing list).

Since I've heard mention that the various SourceForge groups are working to
unify their codebases, I was wondering if someone in the know could give a
small "State of the (open) Sourceforge" message about how things stand and
where they're going.  It's hairpulling trying to make a long-term decision
about which program to use given the current state of affairs.

In my experience, Sourceforge has little documentation, ugly code, requires
days of work to get semi-working on my Debian Woody box (mostly due to LDAP),
and has a ton of "Sourceforge.net"-specific stuff that needs to be cleaned out.
XoopsForge is brand new and growing fast, very clean code, but doesn't support
the features we need.  GBorg installs almost out of the box, but isn't being
actively maintained (last version is 1+ years old), has myriad tiny bugs in the
lastest stable distribution and like SourceForge a lot
of "gborg.postgresql.org"-specific stuff.

Hopefully I haven't ignited a flame war, because I'm genuinely interested in
all of them, and respect the amount of hard work it takes to build/maintain
something like it.  If anyone knows any other software I haven't mentioned, I
would love to hear about it.

Mat
Mathew Jason Binkley
Vanderbilt University