Re: ONC RPC for PHP? Re: [Demexp-dev] On web client, XML and ONC RPC and

From: Frederic Lehobey
Subject: Re: ONC RPC for PHP? Re: [Demexp-dev] On web client, XML and ONC RPC and their integration with demexp
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 09:04:41 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 12:44:37PM +0800, Augustin wrote:

> For the sake of argument, what if leaving the server as is (using ONC RPC)
> and
> creating a library coded in PHP (I cannot help with anything else) IS the
> best technical and tactical choice?

> How hard could that be?
> Well, the two important questions are:
> 1) what would be the most quickly implemented? A ONC implementation script
> coded in PHP, or a rework of your server to handle XML calls?
> 2) again, because it is important: what is the best tactical choice over the
> long term?

I can hardly answer this question, but one interesting point is that
it would provide a new feature to PHP developpers.

> > Moreover, beside demexp, I don't think a lot of people in the PHP
> > community are eager to use ONC RPC.
>
> Most probably true.

It mitigates what I have said just above. But have you looked at the
way XML-RPC are (technically) handled in PHP? Would it be possible to
adapt this existing work?

> As you see, I am willing to have a look at this approach.

This is precious.

> Most importantly, you can witness the extent of my ignorance in this
> particular domain, but I am willing to learn.
>
> The two main question remain for you to answer:
> 1) which approach would be quicker to implement?
> 2) what is the best tactical choice?
>
> I don't feel competent enough to answer any of those two questions.

Neither do I.   :-)

Experimentally,
Frédéric