Re: [Denemo-devel] A breakthru

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] A breakthru
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 11:31:53 -0500

On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 17:40 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 08:58 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 10:35 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > > I have just solved some long-standing problems in Denemo, which it turns
> > > out were due to actions not acquiring their proxy widgets at startup but
> > > on demand. I am ready to go now with custom scripts loaded as menu items
> > > with shortcuts etc.
> > > I need an understanding of EXTRA_DIST in autoconf, as we will need to
> > > install a hierarchy of custom menus without specifying all the contents
> > > of the directories in the configure.in (or whatever its called), any
> > > guidance would be welcome.
> >
> > I just changed doc/images/Makefile.am to this:
> >

> > imagedir = $(datadir)/${PACKAGE}/manual/images
> > dist_image_DATA = ./*
> >
> hmm, I am not sure this will quite do the trick, because we will not
> know how many levels of hierarchy there are.
> (I don't think I've properly explained what I am up to: it occurred to
> me that when someone writes some scripts to do, say, guitar fingerings,
> what they need to do is put the new menu items in the menu hierarchy, so
> that people can find it by navigating logically. So, for this example,
> they will want to put a menu Instruments under ObjectMenu, and under
> that will come guitar (as well as percussion ...). Under that would come
> fingerings, other things for guitar support...
> Now when we install the package there will appear
>
> /usr/local/share/denemo/actions/menus/ObjectMenu/Instruments/Guitar/Fingerings/1...5

ok. I have been reading the Automake docs. It appears that all dist
commands mark the files or directories for distribution in a tar file.
We will need to simple add:

EXTRA_DIST = script_directory

to Makefile.am. It will recursively add all directories and files for
distribution. It does not install them though. We then need to create a
rule for installation upon make install. This can be done with the
install-data-hook.

Examples are here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Extending

This link is for general installation documentation:
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Install

I will do all this automake stuff if you like. I just thought I would
show you the docs in case you wanted to know.

Jeremiah