Re: [Denemo-devel] The missing regex in mxe build

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The missing regex in mxe build
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 15:15:34 +0000

On Tue, 2013-02-19 at 08:51 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

>         I found a way to link using the g++ libraries, but it requires
>         going
>         back to the Makefile.am stage. You put
>         nodist_EXTRA_denemo_SOURCES = dummy.cxx
>         into Makefile.am in the src directory, and this causes it to
>         use g++ for
>         compiling the src files and hence links in the c++ libraries.
>         I think I have this working with the git master branch.
>         *BUT* whenever I generate a tarball from git master (using
>         make dist) I
>         get something which won't work inside mxe, this time I get
>
>         make[3]: *** No rule to make target
>         `../../denemo/libsmf/smf.c', needed
>
> This looks like you are not in the denemo directory:
> `../../denemo/libsmf/smf.c',
> This is probably why it is failing.

By "you" here you mean mxe of course! Here is the full bit of the log
from mxe

make -C '/home/rshann/mxe/tmp-denemo/denemo-1.0.0~rc10/' -j '1' install
make[2]: Entering directory
`/home/rshann/mxe/tmp-denemo/denemo-1.0.0~rc10'
Making install in libsmf
make[3]: Entering directory
`/home/rshann/mxe/tmp-denemo/denemo-1.0.0~rc10/libsmf'
make[3]: *** No rule to make target `../../denemo/libsmf/smf.c', needed
by `libsmf_a-smf.o'.  Stop.
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/rshann/mxe/tmp-denemo/denemo-1.0.0~rc10/libsmf'
make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/home/rshann/mxe/tmp-denemo/denemo-1.0.0~rc10'
make[1]: *** [build-only-denemo] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rshann/mxe'

So, it is indeed not in the denemo directory, but in the libsmf
directory.

>  This is my script for creating the tarball:
> rm -rf denemo
> git clone -b master git://git.savannah.gnu.org/denemo.git
> cd denemo
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure --disable-portmidi
> make dist

The only difference is that I didn't configure with --disable-portmidi
(well, I didn't get the tree by git clone either, but it should be the
same tree). This can't (surely?) affect the Makefile in libsmf, which
presumably has triggered the error.
Well, I'll try it anyway...

> Note I have to ./configure with --disable-portmidi. I don't know how
> to get --enable-portmidi to work. I don't know why that is not
> working. I will spend a little more time on it later. Portmidi does
> not have a .pc file so pkg-config can't get the linking and
> compiler/header info. My portmidi that I modified and used with the
> cross compiler does install a .pc files. I don't change denemo's
> configure.ac to use it though because it is very unlikely that distros
> are going to use my repackaged portmidi. After some googling I see
> that other projects have done something similar. Maybe portmidi
> upstream would accept a patch. Then we would have to wait until the
> patch's get in to the portmidi that is distributed by all the distros.
> I will look at 0.9.6 configure.in to see if I accidentally changed
> something.

ok.