Re: [Denemo-devel] Git master currently broken for command saving, comma

From: Éloi Rivard
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Git master currently broken for command saving, command center operations ....
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 16:02:22 +0100

How exactly can you call the "thumbnail invocation" of denemo ?

> Oh - I thought it was part of trying to get non-interactive invocation
> working without gtk. In this case the crash is more serious - it was
> crashing because during file loading the scheme callback route was not
> used and so displayhelper() was not called, by moving the call to
> displayhelper() down into the addmeasures() routine you caused it to be
> called during file loading (I would guess that Denemo.gui is not set up
> at that stage). So it is more serious because you moved displayhelper()
> down into other low-level routines, and the same crash may be waiting
> for us when a file is loaded which require those.
We could check if Denemo.gui is well set up inside displayhelper. What do you think should be checked exactly ?

> This, of course, brings us back to the main thing we need, tests. (That
> is why I hoped and assumed that the crash was due to you trying to get
> testing working, rather than general improvements to the code). It will
> be much easier to improve the code generally once a good set of tests
> are present.
Of course, I tend to do thing a bit too quickly. What kind of test is the priority at this stage according to you ?

In particular, the excellent improvement of removing the
> passing of the global value Denemo.gui around could only safely be done
> when tests are present that will fail if the parameter "gui" refers not
> to the global Denemo.gui but to a DenemoGUI* which is being created and
> populated - as during file loading, and possibly other things such as
> switching tabs.
So this is not the kind of tests we can easilly set in a testsuite, this is more some guards or assertion, isn't it ?

About displayhelpers, you can see most of the changes here : https://github.com/denemo/denemo/commit/ebf606a4d502aa1d9b2eb9d9913a4df77d6f116f