Re: [Denemo-devel] Beginner questions (cross-staff, PNG selection export

From: Lib Lists
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Beginner questions (cross-staff, PNG selection export, feathered beams, batch export, Print View behaviour)
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2019 16:18:52 +0200

Hi Richard, and thank you for your quick reply!

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 15:52, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Mon, 2019-08-12 at 14:21 +0200, Lib Lists wrote:
> > Hello,
> > new Denemo user here, coming back to Lilypond through Denemo after
> > many years. It is really a pleasure to do note entry in a visual
> > editor, thank you for your efforts in developing Denemo!
> >
> > Few questions, using Denemo 2.2.0 on Mac Os 10.13.6.
> >
> > 1. Despite my attempts, I cannot find a way to create cross-staff
> > beaming in a piano staff. I understand it is possible in Denemo, but
> > I cannot find the right command.
>
> Cross staff beaming is created automatically by LilyPond when you cause
> a voice to change staff, so the command you want is:
>
> Staffs/Voices->Change Staff

Great, works perfectly!

> > 2. When I select Export as -> Export selection as PNG, I get a
> > message that my file has been created, but I cannot find it in the
> > file system.
>
> You have to set your preference for a Image Viewer program to something
> you have in your path to view the png with. The message is misleading -
> as the help for the command says
>
> Command: Export Selection as PNG
> Displays a musical excerpt in your image viewer
> Location: Main Menu ▶ File ▶ Export As
> Internal Name: PrintExcerptPreview
>
> so you have to have the Image Viewer in Edit->Change Preferences-
> >Externals=>Image Viewer
> set to some program actually installed on your system.

I forgot to mention that I have already tried with Preview, Mac os
default image viewer
(/Applications/Preview.app/Contents/MacOS/Preview) without success.

> > 3. Is it possible to create feathered beams as
> > in http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/beams#feather
> > ed-beams? Maybe with a custom command?
>
> yes, I just tried it. I put in some 1/16th notes and then chose
> Directives->Insert LilyPond
> and pasted an example from the section you mentioned
>
> \override Beam.grow-direction = #LEFT
> \featherDurations #(ly:make-moment 2/1)
>
> (well, this is LilyPond 2.18 docs actually)
> and it feathered the following beam.
> You could then take that Denemo Directive and
> 1) create a snippet from it, or
> 2) create a palette button that inserts it or
> 3) create a command that inserts it.
>
> for 1) see View->Snippets
> for 2) right click on the directive and choose "Create Button for
> Clone"
> for 3), well having created a palette button you could right click the
> palette button and choose "Get Script into Scheme Window" and then at a
> suitable point in the Beams menu right click and choose "Save Script as
> New Menu Item" and follow the prompts to create a new command that
> inserts that Denemo Directive.

Great, thanks for the detailed instructions! I'll give it a try.

> > 4. As I'm writing a manual, where each movement is a separate
> > exercise, I'd like at some point to batch export all the movements as
> > individual files. Is it possible?
>
> Do you mean separate PDFs?

Yes, at the moment separate PDFs, but in the future it might be useful
to export as well as PNGs or SVGs.

> > 5. Last question (for now!), after inserting some text and pressing
> > enter,
>
> inserting it where?

For example in the pop-up Note/Rests->Markings->Chord Symbols->Edit
Chord Symbols.
The same behaviour happens after adding text in other (any?) pop-up dialogs
and pressing OK or cancel (for example after inserting a title, adding
a chord name, etc.).

Cheers,
Lib