dev-serveez

[dev-serveez] binary data type

From: Martin Grabmueller
Subject: [dev-serveez] binary data type
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 08:41:37 +0200

Hello all,

I am just looking at the new binary data type for Guile in Serveez and
have some notes about it (of course these are just suggestions):

- I think `binary-search' should return #f instead of -1, because that
  is how it is done in string searching procedures, and because it is
  more useful.  Then you can use the result directly in `if's without
  comparing it to another number:

  (let ((idx (binary-search b1 b2)))
    (if idx
        (format "found at: ~a.~n" idx)
        (format "not found~n")))

- Maybe `binary-set!' should also support exact numbers as the last
  argument?

- `binary-concat' should be `binary-concat!' because it has a side
  effect on the binary argument.

- What about making the last argument to `binary-subset' an optional
  argument?  That would mean:

  (binary-subset b start end) -> binary of b's data from `start' to `end'
  (binary-subset b start) -> binary of b's data from `start' to the end
                             of the binary

  That would be more schemey, too.

If you agree with one or more of the above suggestions, I can help
implementing them, of course.  Just drop me a note.

Best regards,
  'martin