dino-list

Re: [Dino-list] How to connect MIDI with Jack?

From: Lars Luthman
Subject: Re: [Dino-list] How to connect MIDI with Jack?
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 15:27:32 +0200

On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 14:08 +0200, Josh Green wrote:
> Hello, I've just installed Dino and the current SVN checkout of Jack.
> Sorry if this is answered in some FAQ or doc somewhere, but how does one
> go about connecting MIDI through Jack?  I'd like to connect Dino to a
> synthesizer which uses the ALSA sequencer.  The MIDI via Jack feature
> seems a bit new.

There are a number of JACK -> ALSA MIDI portals, you could for example
try jackmidi_alsaseq by Dmitry Baikov available at
http://www.konstruktiv.org/code/jackmidi_alsaseq-0.2.tar.gz or my
jack2aseq available in the Dino CVS repository at Savannah, which you
can get with the command 'cvs -z3
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/dino co
jack2aseq'. Both of these create JACK MIDI ports for all ALSA-seq input
ports on the system, and I think that Dmitry's program also works the
other way around (which isn't of much use with Dino yet, but could be
used to play a JACK MIDI synth using an ALSA keyboard, for example).

> When building Dino I ran into the following error:
>
> In file included from main.cpp:33:
> dinogui.hpp:120: error: using-declaration for non-member at class scope
> dinogui.hpp:120: error: expected `;' before '*' token
> make[3]: *** [main.o] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/josh/src/dino-0.2.1/src/gui'
> make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/josh/src/dino-0.2.1/src'
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/josh/src/dino-0.2.1/src'
> make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>

> Turns out I had an older version of gtkmm installed.  You may want to
> put a pkg-config check for gtkmm >= 2.6 (when Gtk::AboutDialog was
> added).

0.2.1 and recent CVS should check for gtkmm >= 2.6.4 - if it tries to
compile anyway it is a bug in the build system.

> I'm looking forward to giving Dino a try.  It looks like exactly what I
> have been looking for (pattern based MIDI sequencer).  Seems to have a
> pretty nice looking interface too ;)

Thanks, I hope you'll find it useful. The next release will have some
more basic features like looping, MIDI recording, and scripting.

--
Lars Luthman - please encrypt any email sent to me if possible
PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x04C77E2E