dino-list

Re: [Dino-list] How to connect MIDI with Jack?

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [Dino-list] How to connect MIDI with Jack?
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 18:03:59 +0200

On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 15:27 +0200, Lars Luthman wrote:
> There are a number of JACK -> ALSA MIDI portals, you could for example
> try jackmidi_alsaseq by Dmitry Baikov available at
> http://www.konstruktiv.org/code/jackmidi_alsaseq-0.2.tar.gz or my
> jack2aseq available in the Dino CVS repository at Savannah, which you
> can get with the command 'cvs -z3
> -d:pserver:address@hidden:/sources/dino co
> jack2aseq'. Both of these create JACK MIDI ports for all ALSA-seq input
> ports on the system, and I think that Dmitry's program also works the
> other way around (which isn't of much use with Dino yet, but could be
> used to play a JACK MIDI synth using an ALSA keyboard, for example).

Great, thanks for the info.

> 0.2.1 and recent CVS should check for gtkmm >= 2.6.4 - if it tries to
> compile anyway it is a bug in the build system.

Hmm, I'm using version 0.2.1 of Dino.  I looked in the configure.ac and
saw only libglademm-2.4, libxml++-2.6, jack and lash-1.0 being checked
for.  No gtkmm.  Perhaps its fixed in CVS though.

> > I'm looking forward to giving Dino a try.  It looks like exactly what I
> > have been looking for (pattern based MIDI sequencer).  Seems to have a
> > pretty nice looking interface too ;)
>
> Thanks, I hope you'll find it useful. The next release will have some
> more basic features like looping, MIDI recording, and scripting.

Good to hear!  Those first 2 features were exactly what I was looking
for next.  Scripting sounds like an added bonus.  Cheers!
        Josh Green