discuss-gnu-electric

RE: Electric for MEMS and Microfluidics

From: Luc Gervais
Subject: RE: Electric for MEMS and Microfluidics
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 04:53:14 -0500

Hi Steven, thanks for the reply. I think Electric is a great software overall
and has a lot of potential for MEMS work. I especially like the variety of I/O
formats. Many masks print shops ask for different layout formats (such as
GDSII, ps, dxf) and don't have the required conversion tools. Java is wonderful
as well because that means I can design in Mac OS X.

An additional technology for MEMS work could be implemented, that would help
tremendously for mask layout. However, what would help the most would be to
have better capabilities for manipulating polygons and shapes. In the Edit
Menu, the Rotate, Mirror, Size and Move submenus should all have buttons that
are in the main window interface. These are the most commonly used functions in
mask layout and therefore should be just one click away from the user.

When I first loaded a GDSII mask into Electric. I had difficulty seeing my
layout. There should be buttons that make it easy to show and hide layers.
Additionally, zooming in and out could be made much easier with a zoom in and
out button and using the mouse wheel while holding down ctrl.

As a first step, I would suggest looking at other commonly used MEMS softwares.
LEDIT is the most popular. (  http://www.tanner.com/EDA/index.html ) It is
quite functional overall but has many design quirks that make it not the
friendliest and most enjoyable software to use. A very nice commercial layout
software is Visual Chip Mask (
http://www.numericalinnovations.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=27 ).

Layout Editor ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/layout/ ) is a good open source
layout software. If you look at the main window, it  has the important features
I was talking about above. On the left you can select which layers to make
visible. Above it there is a variety of buttons for making and manipulating
polygons.

Do you think these features are reasonable? Or would it me more complicated
than originally expected since Electric is connectivity based?

Great work on the software. I'm happy to see that this is in active development
and I would gladly be willing to help you on this project.

Luc Gervais
Are you ready for Windows Live Messenger Beta 8.5 ? Get the latest for free
today!
http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.ca/WindowsLiveMessenger