discuss-gnu-electric

RE: Electric for MEMS and Microfluidics

From: Steven Rubin
Subject: RE: Electric for MEMS and Microfluidics
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 08:17:06 -0800

At 01:53 AM 11/7/2007, you wrote:

Hi Steven, thanks for the reply. I think Electric is a great software overall and has a lot of potential for MEMS work. I especially like the variety of I/O formats. Many masks print shops ask for different layout formats (such as GDSII, ps, dxf) and don't have the required conversion tools. Java is wonderful as well because that means I can design in Mac OS X.

An additional technology for MEMS work could be implemented, that would help tremendously for mask layout. However, what would help the most would be to have better capabilities for manipulating polygons and shapes. In the Edit Menu, the Rotate, Mirror, Size and Move submenus should all have buttons that are in the main window interface. These are the most commonly used functions in mask layout and therefore should be just one click away from the user.

Which of the commands would you want in the toolbar? Is it not sufficient to rebind various keys to those commands (which you can do from the "Quick Key" Preferences)?

When I first loaded a GDSII mask into Electric. I had difficulty seeing my layout. There should be buttons that make it easy to show and hide layers. Additionally, zooming in and out could be made much easier with a zoom in and out button and using the mouse wheel while holding down ctrl.

These two requests are already there. Look in the "Layers" tab of the sidebar and you will see quick ways of controling layer visibility. Also, the "zoom" tool (the magnifying glass in the toolbar) does give you quick zooming (when using this tool, hold the right button and move the cursor up and down to zoom in and out).

-Steve