Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Part 15 and Gnuradio...

From: Steve Schear
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Part 15 and Gnuradio...
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 09:11:15 -0800

At 08:21 AM 12/18/2002 -0800, Tim Pozar wrote:
On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 08:18:17AM -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
> At 08:01 AM 12/18/2002 -0800, Tim Pozar wrote:
> >This actually makes more sense for now.  Liberal use and any threating
> >pressure from the FCC and you have the big test equipment manufactures
> >behind you.  Just run everything into dummy loads.... :-)
>
> The only obvious option left to the FCC in this case will be to bar the
> sale of basic RF test equipment to the public (limiting the RF output won't
> work unless RF amps are also effectively banned).  This is a possible, but
> I think unlikely course.

Right...  I can't see the FCC do this as there is so much money and
politics preventing that.  They could try to do what the FCC did
with radios that can receive Cellular freqs, by limiting sales to
"professional" folks and organizations.

Fortunately, all the "restricted" can be harvest from obsolete consumer gear, for example cable modems, at least for building receivers. They would have to ban down converters and all RF kits. Nahhh.

steve