Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio core build fails on make check

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gnuradio core build fails on make check
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2005 17:15:53 -0700

On Fri, Jul 01, 2005 at 12:00:23PM -0700, Ges wrote:
> Hi,
> I solved my earlier problems with configure (no dev
> lib for python headers) thanks to Mark's patch.
> But I am still not able to get rid of the make check
> problems.
> Making check in gr
> make[4]: Entering directory
> `/usr0/Packages/gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/gr'
> make  check-TESTS
> make[5]: Entering directory
> `/usr0/Packages/gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/gr'
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./qa_add_and_friends.py", line 23, in ?
>     from gnuradio import gr, gr_unittest
> ImportError: No module named gnuradio
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./qa_basic_flow_graph.py", line 3, in ?
>     from gnuradio import gr, gr_unittest
> ImportError: No module named gnuradio

Hi Gesley,

I have just confirmed that CVS HEAD will build and install fine in a
non-standard location with a couple of minor tweaks.
In my test case, I used /home/eb/non-std-prefix as the prefix.

$ mkdir /home/eb/non-std-prefix   # make sure the directory is there

The PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable needs to be set
prior to the build so that it points into the prefix lib/pkgconfig directory.

$ export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/eb/non-std-prefix/lib/pkgconfig

Then I edited the buildit script so that it looked like this:

        #!/bin/sh
        # -*- shell-script -*-

        if [ $# -gt 0 -a "$1" = -n ]
        then
          SUDO=
          shift
        else
          SUDO=sudo
        fi

        ./bootstrap &&
        ./configure --prefix=/home/eb/non-std-prefix &&    # added --prefix
        make &&
        make check &&
        $SUDO make install

[I'll add a --prefix=<foo> argument to the script in a bit.]

Then I did

$ ./for-all-dirs ../buildit -n 2>&1 | tee make.log

and everything built, checked and installed correctly.

> make[5]: Entering directory
> `/usr0/Packages/gnuradio-core/src/python/gnuradio/gr'

Hmmm, are you trying to install into the same directory that you are
building from?  That probably won't work.

What is the full path to where you checked out or unpacked gnuradio-core?
What are you using for the value of --prefix?

Eric