Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Congress: "Merry Chrismas! We're Turning Off Your

From: Seth David Schoen
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Congress: "Merry Chrismas! We're Turning Off Your Analog Outs
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:02:54 -0800

Steve Schear writes:

> All it means is that inexpensive Component Analog Video to HD-SDI
> converters, primarily targeting professionals but widely available to
> anyone with a CC, will appear and consumer gear will start sporting HD-SDI
> inputs.

I don't understand your optimism.  The definition of analog video input
device includes that device.

        The term "analog video input device" means a hardware device,
        other than a professional device, and any associated firmware or
        software, that is designed --

        (A) to receive an analog video signal in a covered format or to
        read an analog signal in a covered format from a prerecorded
        medium; and

        (B) to record or digitize such signal, or to alter such signal in
        a way that affects the state or passage of the rights signaling
        system if present in such signal.

(Covered formats are enumerated by the Director of the Patent and
Trademark office in an administrative proceeding.)

The definition of professional devices excludes something that
nonprofessionals often purchase; it is much stricter than "primarily
targeting professionals"!

        If a device is marketed to or is commonly purchased by persons
        other than those described in subparagraph (A), then such device
        shall not be considered to be a "professional device".

--
Seth David Schoen <address@hidden> | This is a new focus for the security
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | community. The actual user of the PC