Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fedora Core 5 x86_64 lib install problems

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Fedora Core 5 x86_64 lib install problems
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:25:40 -0700

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 10:30:13AM -0400, Eric Hill Matlis wrote:
> Chuck-
>
> Following your suggestion, I copied the _gnuradio_swig_python files from
> $prefix/lib64 to $prefix/lib, and now the make check passes for
> gr-audio-alsa.  However, trying to run the dial_tone.py example fails
> with:
>
> address@hidden audio]$ ./dial_tone.py
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "./dial_tone.py", line 23, in ?
>     from gnuradio import gr
> ImportError: No module named gnuradio
>
> What do I need to copy over to satisfy the missing gnuradio components?
>
> thanks,
> eric

Hi Guys,

Chunk, thanks for posting a work-around.

I *really* suggest that you guys sort this out properly and generate a
patch that fixes it.  Otherwise this kludge is going to get
propagated.  You really don't want to be copying files around by hand.
It definitely will lead to problems down the road.

I believe the problematic difference is between the definitions for
python script directory:

SuSE 9.3 Pro

checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.4
checking for python platform... linux2
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory...
${exec_prefix}/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
checking for Python include path... /usr/include/python2.4
checking Python.h usability... yes
checking Python.h presence... yes
checking for Python.h... yes

FC5

checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for python version... 2.4
checking for python platform... linux2
checking for python script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python2.4/site-packages
checking for python extension module directory...
${exec_prefix}/lib64/python2.4/site-packages
checking for Python include path... /usr/include/python2.4
checking Python.h usability... yes
checking Python.h presence... yes
checking for Python.h... yes

That answer is produced by the AM_PATH_PYTHON .m4 macro that is used
on the system.  You can find the definition being used by examing
gnuradio-core/aclocal.m4.

I'm not sure which of these is right, but that's where I'd start looking.

Good hunting!

Eric