Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems running example audio_fft.py

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Problems running example audio_fft.py
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 15:47:19 -0700

On Wed, Oct 25, 2006 at 10:06:07AM +0200, Josh Jennings wrote:
> >I suspect that most of our wxPython performance problems could be
> >fixed if someone were to implement a native C++ plotting widget for
> >wxWidgets and then provide the appropriate wxPython binding for it.
>
> I was also already looking into this and came across wxCode's wxplot
> which is taken from the plplot library. I compiled wxwidgets and
> wxplot on my mac and it compliled without problems. I also saw the
> xcode component wxplotctl, but that did not compile correctly on my
> mac or linux. Does any one have any experience with these? Any further
> resources to look into? Or would a ground up plotting widget be
> necessary? I would be interested in looking further into these
> possibilities.
>
> Josh

I don't have any experience with those.

I was thinking along the lines of a relatively simple widget.  No data
dependent autoscaling.  Just tell it the number of grid lines to draw
in X and Y, have the internal coordinate system of the widget be
scaled from (0,0) to (1,1) (resizing the widget would adjust the
internal scaling factor); provide a 3x3 transform matrix similar to
open GL's 4x4 matrix, then provide primitives for drawing polylines,
points, etc that are run through the tranform matrix.

That way the high level interface allows us to pass arrays of points
and the "right thing happens" quickly.

We may also want to allow the axes to be drawn and labeled in a
persistent way -- only redrawn when something changes -- instead of
every time.  We could blit them prior to drawing in the data.

Might be worth looking at just using an opengl canvas in wxpython.
That may get us what we're looking for.  Not sure.

If you could find some time to look at this, that would be great!

Eric