Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: [dttsp-linux] dttsp-ps3

From: Robert McGwier
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: [dttsp-linux] dttsp-ps3
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 14:03:39 -0500

Tom Rondeau wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: address@hidden [mailto:discuss-
address@hidden On Behalf Of Robert McGwier
Sent: Saturday, February 03, 2007 1:50 AM
To: address@hidden
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Re: [dttsp-linux] dttsp-ps3

Both dttsp and gnuradio build on the PS3.  I managed to get everything
to install.  As I have always found with redhat/fedora installations,
what is absolutely seamless and without peer in Ubuntu is a royal pain
in the derriere with Fedora.  I had to add all of the PYTHONPATH, etc.
as usual and I had to roust about on the internet for ppc rpm's to
install wxGTK and wxPython since I was absolutely determined not to have
to build them.

The audio system on the PS3 with Fedora and Alsa is a little odd.  I am
unable to address /dev/dsp in any meaningful way.   Portaudio correctly
calls the devices (running pa_devs) but all of the examples fail in
gnuradio-example/python/audio.  I modified several to attempt portaudio
and that failed.

Make check failed in many places with a segmentation fault in run_tests.sh

The build is slow because of the small memory so it would be nice to be
able to push off the component build to a remoted machine.

Great stuff, Bob. When you say it's slow, about how long are you talking?

Tom
It took about 1/2 hour to build. A huge amount of time was spent swapping like mad to do the swig wrap. Everything else was speedy.

fftw enables altivec for fftwf and that does have an impact.

The Extigy is no real solution because it is USB 1.0. If they had a firewire on the thing I would be doing freebob already.

Bob

"Taking fun as simply fun and earnestness in earnest shows
how thoroughly thou none of the two discernest." - Piet Hine