Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-buffer - threadsafe?

From: Eric Blossom
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-buffer - threadsafe?
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:54:58 -0800

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 02:22:50PM +0100, Dominik Auras wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Can I assume gr_buffer + gr_buffer_reader to be thread-safe?
>
> Regards
> Dominik

Hi Dominik,

It should be fine, though I don't think it's been tested in a
multi-threaded environment.  It's single writer, multiple-reader, and
each piece of state has only a single modifier.  It's basically a
variant on the standard lock-free ring buffer.  On non-x86 machine
SMP machines (e.g. PPC) it may require the addition of memory barriers.

Eric